Wednesday, February 25, 2009

a tea affair


I've fallen in love - with a new kind of tea. Nothing says "home" on a cold night like a steaming hot cup of delicious herbs and spices steeping in a beautiful mug. We first met at Sinatra's Coffee Gallery on Chestnut and National. We were mere strangers, but from the moment I laid eyes on NuMi's Ruby Chai, I knew we were meant to be. The Spiced Rooibos Herbal Teasan blend comes in a sassy raspberry-colored packet that simply calls to you amidst the mottled colors of its neighboring muted tans, greys, and greens.

Upon turning Ruby over, I am enamored with the charming list of ingredients as I begin to read: Fair Trade Certified org. Rooibos, org. Cloves, org. Allspice, org. Ginger,org. Cardamom, org. Nutmeg, org. Cinnamon. They are mere words, but their scents begin to leap off of the package and fill the room with anticipation. Everything about NuMi is Organic, and it makes me feel like a better tea lover for it. Even the sachet is made of biodegradable material.

My first cup of Ruby was
sans lait, but it's easy to see how this blend is a perfect mate for it. That day at Sinatra's had me instantly hooked. Like a drug, I only wanted more - I had to find Ruby again and I wanted her now. That afternoon, I would seek her out at Mama Jean's for a mere $5 and some change. This frugal purchase got me 18 packets of the delicious drink - much more affordable than the cost of a visit to the albeit tasty but more pricey Sinatra's.

home cheap home embraces being able to recreate the things we love and find ways to make them our own at home - and Ruby is certainly one of them. I promptly went home and made a cup of Ruby Chai, this time trying it Latte style, adding said skim milk and a dash of cinnamon on top to make for a perfect at-home tea affair.

Here's to many more budget-friendly drinks we can all fall in love with. Cheers!