
With the recent surge of spring weather lately I've been having a major jonesing for some weekend bargain hunting.
My fix has gone unattended to and I'm quite disappointed by this. On my way to work the other day, I saw a yard sale and nearly caused myself unnecessary vehicular harm because I craned my neck so hard to see the treasures lining the grass. (Oh my.)
I've noticed that I keep perusing Craigslist with a heated neuroticism, anxiously awaiting the surge of postings under the Garage Sale section. With each click, I keep hoping to see something that says CHURCH SALE SATURDAY or MULTI-FAMILY SALE in multiplicity so I know that the Season has officially begun.
I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem and the first to proudly tout my frugal finds when I do get to start my thrifty shopping. As I look around my apartment, I realize that 95% of my belongings once belonged to someone else. This makes me very proud. I consider this my part of the "green" movement: I save some green, take part in eco-friendly shopping habits, and create a cozy home all at the same time.
While I wait impatiently to be able to hit the streets again in search of that next great find, I happened across a new term on Urban Dictionary to describe my habit:
yardhopper
A garage and yard sale enthusiast. A person who spends their weekends driving around looking for "diamond in the rough" items at garage and yard sales.
Being a yardhopper, I now have all kinds of useless junk in my garage.
What I want to know is if "yardhopper" is anything like being a "bar hopper"? What happens if you combine the two? Garage sales + cocktails? 6 a.m. might be a tad early to start the day with an Amaretto Sour, but then again, if you're a Housewife hitting the sales on Wisteria Lane, maybe not. ;)
As the Season starts and I hit the sale circuit again, I'll be sure to take some great photos of the sales I go to and keep you posted on the frugally fabulous finds that are lurking out there to be found! (I think I'll stick with coffee though.)
